17 Jan Plugin Manager for Networks
Yesterday, I pushed out a few updates to an initial version of the Plugin Premium Package Manager for WP Networks plugin for WordPress 3.1. The basic functionality that is there now is
- A tool for selectively displaying plugins on the site plugins screen. If you are familiar with the plugin commander, then this is a lightweight implementation of the same functionality where most of the control is implemented through existing WordPress screens & features.
- A tool for turning on the user domain mapping screen in the site admin tools section of the dashboard.
In WordPress 3.1, network admin functions were moved to a separate admin area appropriately called Network Admin. In this post, Network Admin refers to the new network admin area and Site Admin refers to the regular WordPress blog/site admin area.
Plugin manager installation & use
- Install the plugin through the built in plugin installer or upload the plugin-premium-package-manager-for-wp-networks folder to /wp-content/plugins.
- In your Network Admin, Network Activate the Super Admin Plugin Manager.
- Once active, the Super Admin Plugin Manager adds an Make visible action link to each plugin that would normally appear on the Site Admin plugins screen.
- Click the Make visible link for each plugin that you would like your individual site admins to have control over whether the plugin is active or not.
- To retain Super Admin control over the activation of a plugin, leave that plugin invisible.
- To activate an invisible plugin on an individual site, visit the Site Admin plugins screen as a super admin and activate the plugin.
Domain mapping screen control use
Note: this plugin was installed in the instructions above & requires the WordPress MU Domain Mapping development version plugin be installed per the instructions. This plugin does not do anything if domain mapping is not installed.
- In the Network Admin Settings -> Domain Mapping screen, turn off the User domain mapping page.
- In the Network Admin Plugins screen, leave the Add Domain Mapping Menu invisible.
- To show the User domain mapping page on an individual site, visit the Site Admin plugins screen as a super admin and activate the Add Domain Mapping Menu plugin.
There is lots more to come in this plugin. I wanted to get some of the initial pieces out there so people could start using them.